You can obtain CEUs by finishing various “professional development” programs, which are hours of instruction. You could also call them continuing education hours or maintenance hours for certificates.
Students successfully complete courses that teach them about subjects related to speech-language pathology, in order to obtain CEUs. These could be conferences, webinars, podcasts, or videos. Some of these courses are only an hour long and focus on a single topic, while others are longer and cover more ground. Explained below are the SLP Continuing Education Requirements in California.
Speech Language pathology – Biennial Renewal
Each renewal period necessitates 24 hours of CE.
- A minimum of 20 hours must be directly relevant to the scope of practice of speech-language pathology within the 24 hours.
- A maximum of 6 hours may be spent on self-study courses within the 24 hours.
- You may take a maximum of 4 hours from related courses and/or indirect client care courses within the 24 hours.
- A maximum of 8 hours may be combined between self-study and related/client care courses within the 24 hours.
Courses relevant to the scope of practice are available from the following providers:
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- California Medical Association – Institute for Medical Quality (CMA)
- Accredited Universities.
- Board approved Professional Development Providers (PDP).`
You must complete 12 hours of continuing education if you have been licensed for less than two years (first time renewal).
- A minimum of ten hours must be directly relevant to speech-language pathology practice.
- You may complete self-study courses in a maximum of two hours.
- You may take a maximum of 2 hours of related and/or indirect client care courses.
Dual License Holders:
- 16 hours of coursework must be directly related to the scope of practice of speech-language pathology.
- A minimum of 29.5 hours must be live courses within the 32 hours.
- You may take a maximum of 2.5 hours of self-study within the 32 hours.
- You may take a maximum of 2.5 hours of related and/or indirect care within the 32 hours.
Speech Language Pathology Assistants – Biennial Renewal
Each renewal period necessitates 12 hours of CE.
- You can take any number of self-study courses.
- You may take courses in communication and related disorders from state or regional conferences, workshops, formal in-service presentations, independent study programs, or any combination of these. Courses from an accredited university (including master’s degree program) are ineligible for CE credit.
- The supervisor of the Speech-Language Pathology Assistant is responsible for assisting in the selection of required courses.
- You can take courses from Board-approved providers, but it is not required.