Master of Arts in Speech Language Pathology
US $61,380 (2022)
About the Indiana University Bloomington MS-SLP Program
After completing the program, students will be prepared to work as speech-language pathologists thanks to our accredited M.A. in Speech-Language Pathology (SLP) degree. We also have a Spanish-English bilingual track in speech-language pathology.
For students with undergraduate degrees (B.A. or B.S.) in speech and hearing sciences or communication disorders, our M.A. programme is planned to be finished in two years, in a normal schedule of fall, spring, summer, and fall semesters on campus. Clinical externships conducted off-campus are the focus of the last spring semester.
Depending on how many prerequisite units they still need to take, students who begin the program without undergraduate degrees in the field may have a slightly varied course load. But the majority will also complete their studies by the end of the second spring semester.
Prerequisites for the M.A. SLP Program:
The following undergraduate prerequisite courses must be completed by students either before or simultaneously with the master’s degree programme. Below each prerequisite requirement is a list of IU courses that would satisfy it, and course details are included at the bottom of the page.
● Speech Anatomy and Physiology
● Child Language Development
● Acoustics or Speech Science
● Audiology or Hearing Science
Requirements for non-major applicants:
The prerequisite requirement is not necessary for applicants who have an undergraduate degree in a field other than speech and hearing sciences (i.e., non-majors), such as but not limited to psychology, biology, physics, cognitive science, or education. Non-majors, however, are required to finish at least three of the five preparatory courses—namely, Speech Anatomy and Physiology, Child Language Development, and Phonetics—before starting graduate study if they are accepted into the programme. The latter two courses would have to be done in addition to the standard graduate coursework if they weren’t taken prior to enrollment.
ASHA Mandated Basic Science Course Requirements:
Students who want to receive the ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology must successfully finish the following basic science courses in addition to the prerequisites:
● Biological sciences: these include genetics, neuroanatomy and physiology, human anatomy, and biology.
● Physical sciences, such as chemistry or physics. Coursework in biology and physics must be taken from disciplines other than speech and hearing sciences.
● Social and behavioural sciences, such as anthropology, psychology, sociology, and public health.
Admission Requirements for the Indiana University MS-SLP Program
- Applications for admission to our Clinical programs require materials to be sent both via CSDCAS and via Indiana University’s application systems.
- Submitting certified transcripts.
- The three needed letter writers should be able to speak to your intellectual and academic potential for the graduate program you have chosen. This is preferred by the admissions committee. It may also include clinical experts who have had the chance to witness your knowledge, abilities, techniques, or habits that imply success at the graduate level. This includes people who are in academic or clinical professions (e.g., clinical or academic/research professors).
- Submitted personal essay to the supporting information section.
- Obtaining a bachelor’s degree in speech and hearing sciences or a relevant discipline, such as biology, engineering, linguistics, or psychology, is required.
- Recommended grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- TOEFL :
A Networking Platform for the Special Needs Community