Annotated Reference List (Bilingual AAC)
● Aganza, J. S., Godinez, A., Smith, D., Gonzalez, L. G., & Robinson-Zañartu, C. (2015). Using cultural assets to enhance assessment of Latino students. Contemporary School Psychology, 19(1), 30-45.
Description: This article provides insight into using cultural values of Latino students as assets, and provides descriptions of Latino cultural values.
● Binger, C., Kent-Walsh, J., Berens, J., Del Campo, S., & Rivera, D. (2008). Teaching Latino parents to support the multi-symbol message productions of their children who require AAC. Augmentative and Alternative Communication, 24(4), 323-338.
Description: This article discusses a cognitive strategy instructional support that was implemented with English-speaking Latino families in New Mexico. Overall, the results were positive, and this article provides great feedback from the parents.
● Bridges, S. J. (2004). Multicultural issues in augmentative and alternative communication and language: Research to practice. Topics in Language Disorders, 24(1), 62-75.
Description: This article provides great knowledge on steps to be taken to apply what is learned from research into our practice as SLPs. Bridges discusses the critical need for more research in this area, legislation, and advocacy that supports the need for research, and a checklist for doing this research.
● Calzada, E. J. (2010). Bringing culture into parent training with Latinos. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 17(2), 167-175.
Description: This study focuses on two important Latino cultural values: familismo, and respeto. There are great examples provided as well as insight as to how these cultural values impact parent training.
● Henderson, A. T., & Mapp, K. L. (2002). A New Wave of Evidence: The Impact of School, Family, and Community Connections on Student Achievement. Annual Synthesis, 2002.
Description: This report highlights the impact that families have on their child’s achievement.
● Hughes, M. T., Valle-Riestra, D. M., & Arguelles, M. E. (2008). The voices of Latino families raising children with special needs. Journal of Latinos and Education, 7(3), 241-257.
Description: This article provides insight into the perceptions of 16 Latino families with special needs. It provides input from the families, as well as general guidance to supporting Latino families.
● Kohnert, K., Ebert, K. D., & Pham, G. T. (2020). Language disorders in bilingual children and adults. Plural Publishing.
Description: This book provides various resources on supporting bilingual children with language disorders and covers the MOM framework in depth.